William Winter, M.D.
Professor, Pathology & Pediatrics
M.D., Loyola University
Autoimmune Studies, MODY, Pathology
William E. Winter, M.D., earned his Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from Santa Clara University. He pursued his medical degree at Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine graduating Alpha Omega Alpha. His pediatric residency training was obtained at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. He then served as Chief Pediatric Resident at the University of Kentucky during his fourth postgraduate year. At the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, his fellowship training was in pediatric endocrinology. Dr. Winter’s research activities in type 1 diabetes then brought him into the UF Health Pathology Laboratories’ Endocrine Autoantibody Laboratory. His research interests currently include autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes and unusual manifestations of diabetes in young people, such as a genetic form of the disease that targets young African Americans and other minorities. He is presently the principle investigator for the NIH-sponsored Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Islet Cell Autoantibody Core Laboratory. Combining articles, chapters, and abstracts, he has contributed nearly 200 publications that deal with chemistry, coagulation, diabetes, endocrinology, and immunology. Dr. Winter holds boards in pediatrics, pediatric endocrinology, clinical chemistry (American Board of Clinical Chemistry), and chemical pathology (American Board of Pathology).
As an NIH-funded independent investigator since 1999, he is principle investigator for the Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Islet Cell Autoantibody Core Laboratory.
- Bazydlo, LA, Harris, NS, Winter, WE. “Challenges in Endocrinology Testing.” Dasgupta, A. and Sepulveda, J. Eds.; Accurate Results in the Clinical Laboratory: A Guide to Error Detection and Correction. Elsevier, Boston, 2013:155-169.
- Winter WE, Pittman D. The clinical application of islet autoantibody testing for the diagnosis of autoimmune diabetes. Medical Laboratory Observer. 2013; 45(10):16-26.
- Winter WE, Jialal I, Devaraj S. Thyrotropin receptor antibody assays: clinical utility. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013 Feb;139(2):140-2.
- Winter WE. Commentary. Clin Chem. 2013 Dec;59(12):1707.
- Winter, W.E., Bazydlo, LA, Harris, NS. Quick Guide to Endocrinology. AACC Press, Washington, DC. 2013, 189 pages.
- Winter, WE, Bazydlo, LA, Harris, NS. The Molecular Biology of Human Iron Metabolism. Lab Med. Spring 2014; Vol 45, No. 2: 92-102.
- Haller MJ, Winter WE, Schatz DA. Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndromes, In: Pediatric Endocrinology, Fourth Edition. Mark Sperling (ed). W.B. Saunders Philadelphia, PA. 2014, pp. 901-919
- Nambam B, Winter WE, Schatz DA. IgG4 antibodies in autoimmune polyglandular disease and IgG4-related endocrinopathies: pathophysiology and clinical characteristics. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2014 Jun 5.