Walk Alachua County 2017
What is Walk Alachua County?
Walk Alachua County originally began as a weekly wellness walk program hosted by the Alachua County Medical Society. This program has grown into Walk Alachua County and is now hosted by the University of Florida Diabetes Institute.
The Alachua County community is invited to join us for 10 weeks of wellness walks every Saturday — rain or shine — at Santa Fe College Track from 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. beginning on January 7, 2017. Walkers can expect a fun, lively event, sure to make walking a treasured part of a healthy lifestyle. Walkers do not have to come to every walk, but it is encouraged to make as many as you can. The walks are free of charge.
Here’s what to expect:
- 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. – Zumba Warm Up led by Alter Ego Fitness
- 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. – Community Wellness Walk led by a special walk leader each week
- 10:00 – 10:30 a.m. – Yoga Cool Down led by Alter Ego Fitness
- Walk Alachua County Community Fair – Community organizations and businesses offering screenings, services and activities for the whole family during these informal walks
Each Saturday walk will have a different theme or focus, so be sure to come to as many as possible so you won’t miss out. Our general schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, January 7: New Beginnings (starting the new year off right with a healthy lifestyle!)
- Saturday, January 14: Get Outside (taking advantage of Florida’s climate for health benefits)
- Saturday, January 21: Eating for Health
- Saturday, January 28: Eye Health
- Saturday, February 4: Heart Health
- Saturday, February 11: Mental Health
- Saturday, February 18: Community Health
- Saturday, February 25: Florida Foods
- Saturday, March 4: Movement for Every Body
- Saturday, March 11: Commitment to Health
Ways to Participate
Register as a Walk Participant
While registration is not required, we recommend you register for our email communications, so that we can send you updates as well as encouragement to continue the 10-week program. You will also be updated on special guests, events and surprises!
Register as a Vendor
We encourage community organizations and businesses to participate in these walks by having a table or activity space in our health fair area. Vendors do not have to be health-related. We require vendors to register in advance, be approved, and provide some type of activity for participants that is for their benefit.
Sponsor a Walk
Opportunities to be the presenting sponsor or provide in-kind donations are available. Please contact UF Diabetes Institute Assistant Director Carly Barnes Dodd at firstname.lastname@example.org, for opportunities and more information.