Menu UF Health Home Menu

WSJ Feature: “The Folly of Defunding Diabetes Research”

Published: October 31st, 2012

While most people know me as owner of the New York Jets, my passion has long been in a different field: finding a cure for diabetes, one of America’s most devastating diseases.

Researchers are on the verge of achieving once-unthinkable goals in the battle against diabetes that will improve the physical health of the American people and provide enormous savings in health-care spending. This isn’t the time to slow down or give up the fight.

For the past 16 years, the Special Diabetes Program has been the foundation of the federal government’s effort to combat diabetes. As a businessman, I know when I see a program that works, and the $150 million in annual funding provided by SDP has led to significant discoveries into what causes Type 1 diabetes and how to better treat the disease. Researchers can now imagine what has seemed impossible—a cure.

To read the rest of the article, please visit the WSJ website, or view a PDF of the article.

To learn more about the Special Diabetes Program and get involved in renewing SDP-funded research opportunities, visit here.