Snacking in between meals beneficial, health expert says
Health expert Elizabeth M. Ward, of WebMD says that eating in between meals is here to stay, and can benefit between-meal energy slumps, help you build up fuel before you exercise, and may actually lead to eating less.
Snacking only when you are hungry, limiting snacks to no more than 200 calories, including foods with protein and fiber, and that are low in sugar are all good tips to keep in mind. One healthy snack idea is strawberries. Scientists at Salk Institute recommend eating strawberries frequently to prevent against kidney failure in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Check out some other ‘super summer snack’ ideas below:
- Hard cooked egg + 6 whole grain crackers
- 6-ounce container of fat-free fruit Greek yogurt
- 1 oz. of pistachios in the shell
- String cheese + a peach or nectarine
- ¼ cup hummus + 10 baby carrots
- Banana Berry Smoothie: Place ½ cup fat-free milk, ½ banana, 1 cup mixed berries, and 1-2 ice cubes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a tall glass. Serve immediately. (Makes one serving).
Related Resource: Quick Tips: Smart Snacking When You Have Diabetes, WebMD